Christophe Fratin is a wildlife sculptor born in Metz in 1801. First a student of the Metz Free Art School, he then trained with Carl Vernet and Theodore Géricault in Paris. In 1831, his work was exhibited at the Salon de Peinture et de Sculpture of Fine Arts Academy. From 1834 on, success is achieved. In 1839 he was spotted by the Duke of Luynes and worked at Dampierre castle with great wildlife sculptors like Antoine-Louis Barye (1796-1875). He also worked with great success for foreign clients, English and American buyers, the Court of Russia and the Court of Germany, especially Sans-Souci and Babelsberg castles. In 1835 he started producing bronzes with founder Quesnel then Daubire. He married Marguerite-Sophie Pioche in 1836, and they had a son, Charles-Auguste, in 1837. His style made him part of the Romantic Movement. Many orders were placed by ministers. In the 1840s orders grew scarce, and he had to reissue some of his pieces in a smaller size, then to sell his models, in order to overcome his financial difficulties, without success until his death in 1864.