Saint Louis (Glassworks)
Saint Louis Company was created in several steps. In 1586 the glassworks moved from Holbach, in the French region of Moselle, where it had settled, to Müntzthal. In 1767 its name changed to Saint Louis by Royal Appointment. In 1781, Saint Louis discovered crystal. In the 1820s, the name changed again, to « Compagnie des Verreries et Cristalleries de Saint-Louis ». Between 1830 and 1857, Saint Louis formed an alliance with Baccarat. Chandeliers became a key crystal fixture. Colored crystal emerged in 1837 and became, along with the invention of layered crystal in 1844, the great inventions the factory developped. From 1867 on, Saint Louis was an important exhibitor at world fairs. In the 1870s, the technique of acid-etching was fully controlled. At the turn of the century, gilded décor were at their peak and blend in with the Art Nouveau style. Saint Louis entered the Art Deco era in the thirties with Jean Sala and Jean Luce. The fifties were characterized by the modernization of old pieces like “Versailles” vase. Between 1989 and 1993, Saint Louis was bought out by Hermès group and entered the design era with the “Bubbles” set. Since the early 2000s, great sets like “Omni” (2002), “Extravagance” (2004) and “Lydée” (2008) are inspired by current trends.