Baccarat (Maison)

In the 18th century, Metz Bishop, Monseigneur de Montmorency-Laval, invited Sainte-Anne glass makers to settle in Baccarat, a town in Lorraine. The factory opened on October 16th, 1764. Its growing success made it the third largest glass factory in Europe in 1785. The Revolution drove it slowly to bankruptcy in 1806. Bought out by Aimé-Gabriel d’Artigues, it started again during the Restauration period, under the name “Etablissement de Vonêche à Baccarat”, then “Baccarat”. In 1823, Baccarat received an order from Louis XVIII. Following the royal assent, princes and kings from all over the world ordered sets from the factory. It was incorporated in 1824. In 1841, Baccarat created its famous Harcourt set. At world fairs, like the International Decorative Arts Fair in 1925, the company exhibited new creators like glass maker Georges Chevalier, thus renewing the factory style. Its everlasting quality makes Baccarat the most famous glass factory in the world.