Charles Lemanceau was born in 1905 in Paris and died in 1980 in Trébeurden. He is a French sculptor and a ceramist, known for his Art Deco bestiary in craqueled earthenware. He spent time in Ecole Boulle, graduated from the Ecole Estienne, after which he graduated in 1923 from the School of Applied Arts and the National School of Decorative Arts. In 1923, in the wake of the movement "Art for All" launched by Victor Prouvé, he works for the Spring Art workshops Primavera - in particular with the sculptor Chassaing - and through his creations for the Faïencerie St. Clement. In 1925, he exhibited at the Salon d'Automne with Robert Mallet-Stevens, Jean Dunand, Louis Sognot, Eugene Printz, Jules Leleu ...
During his military service, he sculpts the bust of Ambroise Paré for the Val de Grâce.
He then opened a studio in Paris in 1928. From 1930, he collaborated with Maurice Dufrene at the head of art workshops at Galerie Lafayette, and also worked for the manufacture of Sainte Radegonde. Throughout his career, the workshops of the four department stores will order him. Specialist animal sculptures, he is one of the most important sculptors of Art Deco period. His creations were included in catalogs of the Bon Marché, Galeries Lafayette and also to Manufrance.
Thanks to his renown, he will receive public requests such as the tympanum of a church in Vitré in 1943, and the war memorial of Lanvollon in 1947. In 1933, he joined La Ruche and remained there until his retirement in 1967. In 1943, he became a professor at the school workshops of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Paris.