Royal porcelain factory in Berlin (KPM)
The oldest porcelain workshop in Berlin was founded in the mid 1700s, at the initiative of Wilhelm Casper Wegley. In 1763 the old workshop was transformed into the Royal porcelain factory by King Friedrich II of Prussia, and remained under royal supervision until 1918. The idea was to compete with famous factories like Dresden, Meissen and Sèvres by producing Prussian pieces, in the Rococo style so popular at the time in Europe. The production was not only for royal or diplomatic use. It blended well with the German styles like Biedermeier and Jugendstil, and had a lot of followers like Krister in the 19th century. Its mark with a scepter was used from 1837 onward; the royal globe with the initials KPM was added later. From 1833 to 1848, the factory was run by the painter Gottfried Wilhelm Völker and specialized in porcelain painting inspired by famous paintings. The factory also produced wildlife statuary since the 18th century. In the 20th century it created Art Déco pieces from artists like Tommi Parzinger.