Albert Thiry (1923-2009)
Ceramist from Nice, he studied at the School of Decorative Arts of the City. He settled with his wife Pyot Gavaudan in 1943 in the village of potters Vallauris. He continued his training ceramist in various workshops, including that of Charles Voltz (1923-1997). In 1956, he worked as a decorator at Claire and René Batigne, who had been in charge of the carpet workshop since 1950. He worked alongside Marcel Vertès and Anton Prinner, who introduced him to sculpture. He moved to his own account in 1962, joined by his wife, Pyot Gavaudan, who had been a designer and decorator at the Giraud workshop since 1956.
Together they realize two types of productions: one related to the decorative arts (tableware and lighting) and the other only sculptural (dreamlike and animal characters). They develop a technique of intaglio engraving and decor in the ground chamotte. From 1966 to 1974, Albert Thiry participated in the Biennials of Vallauris and received in 1971 the diploma of honor.