Weapons factory of Sèvres
It all started in 1740 when a porcelain factory was established in Vincennes thanks to the support of Louis XV and Madame de Pompadour. Its purpose was to compete with Meissen and other earthenware and porcelain factories in Europe. In 1756 the company was transferred to Sèvres at Madame de Pompadour’s request. In 1759 Sèvres was attached to the Crown and became a Royal Factory. It was in charge of producing diplomatic gifts and exceptional pieces for Royals, like the china set created for Marie-Antoinette in 1784. Until 1770 the factory only productions were bone china pieces, but after the first china clay deposit was discovered near Limoges in 1768, Sèvres started to produce hard-paste porcelain. During the Revolution Sèvres lost its traditional clients and began working on a more common production for Freemasons. The factory, still attached to the government, was managed from 1800 to 1847 by Alexandre Brongniart and adjusted to the new court habits. In 1875 the factory was moved to new premises specially built by the French government. Nowadays Sèvres has two lines of production, one reissuing pieces from the past and one for new art works.