The Capo-Di-Monte (or Capodimonte) porcelain factory opened in 1743 in Naples, supported by Charles of Bourbon, king of Naples, soon to become king of Spain under the name of Charles III of Spain. Charles and his spouse Marie-Amélie de Saxe were very fond of the factory. Capodimonte produced mostly soft paste porcelain statuary inspired by Meissen porcelain, in a Rococo style. The production was stamped with a Fleur-de-Lys. When Charles III left Naples for Spain in 1759, the royal factory subsided and secondary workshops rose. As a matter of fact, the new Naples king, Ferdinand IV abolished the factory’s royal privilege. In the mean time the production switched to hard-paste porcelain, inspired by the discovery and excavation in Herculanum and Pompei. The new stamp was Ferdinand’s monogram topped by the crown. In the 19th century, under the reign of Prince Murat, the production became accessible to middle class clientele and developed floral pattern pieces. Soon these pieces became Capodimonte specialty. In 1821 the royal factory of Capodimonte turned off its furnaces permanently. In the second half of 19th century new factories opened, taking over the name Capodimonte, some of them existing to this day, like Majello.